The Lives of the Saints -St Luke the Evangelist Orthodox Church in Pallos Hills, Illinois, USA



The Lives of the Saints


St Luke the Evangelist Orthodox Church

in Pallos Hills, Illinois, USA

Saints by Day


Saints A – Z

Saints A thru E
Saints F thru J
Saints K thru O
Saints P thru T
Saints U thru Z

American Saints

Saints of America


Ο Άγιος Γεώργιος ο Τροπαιοφόρος θεράπευσε το μάτι του Αγίου Αμφιλοχίου της Πάτμου όταν ήταν μικρός


Ο Άγιος Γεώργιος ο Τροπαιοφόρος

θεράπευσε το μάτι του Αγίου Αμφιλοχίου της Πάτμου

όταν ήταν μικρός

Ἕνα, ἐπίσης, θαυμαστό γεγονός, τό ὁποῖο ἀναδεικνύει τή βαθειά εὐλάβεια τῆς μητέρας τοῦ Ἁγίου Ἀμφιλοχίου τῆς Πάτμου (+1970) συντελέσθηκε ὅταν ὁ μικρός Ἀθανάσιος κτύπησε τό μάτι του σοβαρά καί κινδύνευε νά τυφλωθῆ. Ὁ Ἅγ. Γεώργιος ἐπενέβη τότε θαυματουργικά καί ἐμφανιζόμενος στόν ὕπνο τῆς πονεμένης μητέρας, τῆς ὑπέδειξε ἕνα φάρμακο τό ὁποῖο θά ἔπρεπε νά ἐφαρμόση στό πληγωμένο μάτι τοῦ παιδιοῦ γιά νά θεραπευθῆ, λέγοντάς της ὅτι “τά μάτια τοῦ Ἀθανασίου ἀνήκουν στό Χριστό”.

Heilige Paisos van de Heilige Athos Berg, Griekenland (+1994) ╰⊰¸¸.•¨* Dutch


Heilige Paisos van de Heilige Athos Berg, Griekenland (+1994)

Feestdag 12 juli

Een nieuwe Orthodoxe heilige: Vader Paisos van de Heilige Athos Berg werd gecanoniseerd door de Oecumenische Patriarch tijdens de bijeenkomst van de Heilige Synode op dinsdag 13 januari 2015. De Heilige Paisios was reeds als een heilige erkend door de gelovigen en het was slechts een kwestie van tijd voor hij zou gecanoniseerd worden.

Arsenios Aznepidis werd geboren op 25 juli 1924 in Farasa, Cappadocië in Klein-Azië, kort voor de volkswisseling tussen Griekenland en Turkije na de Turks-Griekse oorlog van 1919 tot 1922. Hij ontving zijn naam van de heilige Arsenios van Cappadocië, die hem doopte, het kind zijn naam gaf en zijn toekomst als kloosterling voorspelde. Kort na zijn doopsel moesten de jonge Arsenios en zijn familie Klein-Azië verlaten als gevolg van het vredesakkoord van Lausanne. De heilige Arsenios leidde zijn volk op deze tocht van 600 km naar Griekenland. De familie Eznepidis settelde zich in Konitsa in Epirus in het noordwesten van Griekenland. Zoals hij voorspeld had, overleed de heilige Arsenios veertig dagen nadat zijn groep zich in Griekenland gevestigd had en liet hij hen als zijn spirituele erfgenaam de jonge Arsenios na. Arsenios groeide op in Konitsa en werd schrijnwerker na zijn middelbare school.

Tijdens de burgeroorlog in Griekenland na de Tweede Wereldoorlog, diende Arsenios als radio operateur. Hij was zeer bezorgd voor zijn landgenoten en hun familie, maar niet bang voor zichzelf omdat hij alleenstaande was zonder kinderen. Hij werd opgemerkt voor zijn moed, zelfopoffering en morele rechtschapenheid. Na de burgeroorlog wou hij het klooster binnetreden, maar hij moest voor zijn zusters zorgen, die nog ongehuwd waren. Tegen 1950 had hij voor de toekomst van zijn zusters gezorgd en kon hij zijn monastieke roeping volgen.

Hij kwam op de Athos Berg toe in 1950, eerst bij Vader Kyril, de toekomstige Abt van het Koutloumousiou Klooster en ging dan naar het Esphigmenou Klooster. In 1954 na vier jaar noviciaat, kreeg hij de monnik tonsuur en de Continue reading “Heilige Paisos van de Heilige Athos Berg, Griekenland (+1994) ╰⊰¸¸.•¨* Dutch”

Saint Begnet of Ireland & her Holy Well in Dalkey Island, Ireland (+7th century) – November 12




Saint Begnet of Ireland and her Holy Well

in Dalkey Island, Ireland (7th century)

Feast day: November 12


Saint Begnet (also Begneta, Begnete, Begnait or Becnait) is a patron saint of Dalkey, Ireland. The name Begnet is most likely a diminutive form of Beg or Bec. She is noted as a “virgin, not a martyr”. St Begnet was an Irish princess who lived in the 7th century. Her feast day is November 12. Two ruined churches in Dalkey are named for Begnet, one on Dalkey Island, and the other near the 15th-century stone townhouse now serving as Dalkey Castle and Heritage Centre, in the area known as Kilbegnet. A holy well located near the martello tower on the island is also associated with her.

St Begnet’s father was Colman, the son of Aedh in the parish of Kilbegnatan (Kilbegnet or Cill Becnait). Like many other female virgin saints, she is described as beautiful and desirable, but she refused her numerous suitors in favor of religious devotion. Her social status is sometimes given as “Irish princess”, and thus she would have been a valuable bride. She is said variously to have lived as an anchorite or to have served as the first abbess of nuns on a small island off the coast of England.

She gave her name to the two churches in the area and Dalkey town and surrounding area was for many centuries known as Kilbegnet. Perhaps she came from Dalkey, or perhaps she sailed from here to pioneer her religious order. It may also be possible the churches were dedicated to her memory by missionaries, spreading the faith after her death.

As a child, St Begnet was visited by an angel who gave her a bracelet inscribed with a cross as a mark of her vocation.

St Begnet grew up to become a beautiful woman and had many suitors. Her parents arranged her marriage to the son of the King of Norway. But still dedicated to the vows she had taken, Begnet had no wish to take a husband. To avoid marriage, she left home, leaving everything but the bracelet given to her by the Angel. She found passage in a small boat and sailed to Northumbria on the West Coast of England. There she was received into the Church by Bishop Aidan and became the first abbess of nuns. Her convent was constantly plundered by pirates, so after several years Begnet moved inland towards Cumberland.

Her bracelet became an object of veneration after her death.


Saint Begnet’s Well


Dalkey Island, Ireland,-6.0937406,3a,75y,113.8h,72.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sj-3Cc5p1Ra7T4VdqSuXEww!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=el

Dalkey Village, Ireland

St Begnet's Church 001L.jpg

St Begnet’s Church, 9th century


St Begnet’s Church

The 9th century granite church named after the virgin Saint, St Begnet, probably replaced an earlier wooden church dating back to the Early Christian period. The Nave dates to the 10th century and later the Bellcote and Chancel were added in the 13th century. Inside the Nave on the eastern side of the doorway is a Stoup and there is an Ambry built into the southern wall of the chancel. Scattered throughout the graveyard are a number of decorated headstones and on the northern side of the church is a rare Tau Cross.



The ruin of the church of St. Begnet on Dalkey Island, Ireland


Dalkey Island20150607091200.jpg




069 St. Begnet's Church.jpg



Goat Castle, Dalkey Village, Ireland

Dalkey heritage centre



Rathdown Slab

In the Dalkey heritage centre there is the Rathdown Slab. The slab was found in the graveyard surrounding St Begnet’s Church in 1855. The Rathdown Slabs are usually linked to churches dated to the 11th and 12th century. The first slabs were recorded by Austin Cooper in 1781 and since then the number of viking slabs has risen to around 30. This particular slab is one of the finest examples and standing at about 5 ft tall one of the largest. It is thought the slab may have been decorated originally with viking art such as the cup marks, but that a number of christian symbols such as the large ring with a cross in the centre, may have been added later. Other examples have been recorded at Kilgobbin Church, Rathmichael Church, Whitechurch, Ballyman, Kiltiernan, Tully Church, Killegar and more recently in Dundrum.

Source: Wikipedia


St Begnat’s Church of 9th century

in Dalkey Village



St Begnet's Church 003s.jpg



Святая преподобная мати Димитра Егорова Киевская из Бугарске (+1878) ╰⊰¸¸.•¨* Serbian


Святая преподобная мати Димитра Киевская

(М. А. Егорова 1810-1878 гг.)

основательница Киевского Свято-Введенского монастыря (1878)

18 апреля 2008 года Постановлением Священного Синода Украинской Православной Церкви монахиня Димитра (Матрона Александровна Егорова) была причислена к лику местночтимых святых. Отныне преподобная Димитра, обретя бессмертие, находится в одном ряду со святыми женами Руси.

Монахиня Димитра родилась в 1810 году в городе Силистрия (Болгария). Она была воспитана благочестивыми родителями Александром и Марией в духе православной веры, на многочисленных примерах жития и благочестия святых, прославивших болгарскую землю.

В конце 20-х годов XIX ст. семья преподобной Димитры переселилась в Бессарабию. Муж матушки Димитры, капитан российской армии Иван Егоров геройски погиб в Крымской войне (1853–1856). Сама матушка Димитра принимала участие в обороне Севастополя (1855–1856), помогая раненым на поле боя. За участие в Крымской войне она получила несколько наград, а также медаль за русско-турецкую войну (1877–1878), во время которой организовала лазарет для раненых воинов в своем доме в Киеве.

С 1856 года преподобная Димитра жила в Киеве, вела благочестивую жизнь. Господь привел ее на порог духовной жизни ― Промыслом Божиим матушка Димитра познакомилась с Киевским Митрополитом Исидором (Никольским) (1858–1860), который на долгие годы стал ее духовным отцом и наставником. Она глубоко почитала Митрополита и ничего не предпринимала без его благословения, находясь во всегдашнем послушании своему духовнику. Митрополит Исидор указал матушке подвижнический путь, следуя которым, она многое смогла сделать на благо Церкви и общества, проявить себя в истинно христианской деятельности. По предложению Владыки, матушка Димитра взяла на себя труд по созданию религиозной женской общины для вдов и сирот погибших воинов и бедных бесприютных женщин. В благословение и в покровительство будущей обители Митрополит Исидор преподнес досточтимую Боголюбскую икону Божией Матери.

Благочестивыми трудами матушки Димитры и на ее средства в 1860–1878 годах была создана первая в Киеве религиозная женская община ― Свято-Введенская, утвержденная Указом Императора Александра ІІ от 4/17 марта 1878 года. В 1901 году община была преобразована в общежительный монастырь.

Однако матушка Димитра не смогла возглавить созданную общину. Всевышнему Богу было благоугодно призвать свою праведницу в небесные обители Своя. Преподобная Димитра мирно почила 9/22 марта 1878 года в Санкт-Петербурге, в день памяти Сорока Севастийских мучеников, воинов Христовых. По распоряжению митрополита Исидора она была временно похоронена в Александро-Невской Лавре, в «палатке» при Федоровской церкви.

Преподобная Димитра была тайной монахиней, и постриг ее совершился по особому ходатайству Митрополита Исидора и его свидетельства о том, что матушка давно ведет подготовительную к монашеству жизнь.

8/21 августа 1878 года тело матушки Димитры было перевезено из Санкт-Петербурга в Киев и захоронено, согласно ее предсмертному пожеланию, в Введенской общине, в нижнем храме-усыпальнице. Ежегодно, 9/22 марта, в день ее кончины, и 26 октября/8 ноября, по случаю храмового праздника киевские митрополиты и архимандриты Киево-Печерской Лавры служили Божественную литургию и панихиду у могилы основательницы Свято-Введенской обители. Совершались поминальные службы и в Александро-Невской лавре.

16 сентября (по новому стилю) 1960 года, после закрытия Введенского монастыря, мощи матушки Димитры были перенесены из храма и перезахоронены на Зверинецком кладбище. 8/21 августа 1996 года, по благословению Блаженнейшего Владимира, Митрополита Киевского и всея Украины, и разрешению властей города состоялось обретение мощей матушки Димитры и их возвращение из Зверинецкого кладбища в обитель. При обретении мощей основательницы было установлено, что святые мощи сохранились частично, нетленными остались голова и верхняя часть тела. Под светским платьем подвижницы обнаружен монашеский параман, на лицо матушки был возложен «наличник», а само тело было обернуто мантией. Все это явилось наглядным подтверждением монашеского пострига матушки Димитры.

Современные насельники монастыря являются продолжателями молитвенного почитания памяти строительницы, поддерживая и развивая традиции, совершая богослужения в установленные дни.

Жизнь праведницы продлилась и после ее кончины. Подвигом своей богоугодной жизни преподобная Димитра получила от Господа дар благодатной молитвы и дивное дарование исцеления болезней людей.


Άγιος Θεοφάνης & Αγία Πανσέμνη η πρώην πόρνη στην Αντιόχεια της Συρίας (+363) – 10 Ιουνίου


Άγιος Θεοφάνης & Αγία Πανσέμνη

η πρώην πόρνη στην Αντιόχεια της Συρίας (+363)

10 Ιουνίου

Oύτος ο Όσιος Θεοφάνης ήτον από την Aντιόχειαν, γεννηθείς δε από γονείς απίστους και ασεβείς, ογλίγωρα μετετέθη προς την εις Xριστόν πίστιν και ευσέβειαν. Όταν δε έφθασεν εις ηλικίαν δεκαπέντε χρόνων, επήρε γυναίκα διά γάμου, και ζήσας με αυτήν χρόνους τρεις, αφ’ ου εκείνη απέθανεν, ευθύς αυτός προσήλθεν εις την του Xριστού Eκκλησίαν, και εδέχθη το Άγιον Bάπτισμα.

Όθεν κοντά εις την πόλιν της Aντιοχείας κτίσας ένα κελλάκι στενώτατον, έκλεισεν εκεί μέσα τον εαυτόν του ο αοίδιμος, καθαριζόμενος πάντοτε από όλα τα πάθη, και αποκτώντας όλα εκείνα τα μέσα και όργανα, τα οποία συνεργούσι προς την τελειότητα, και άκραν αρετήν. Mαθών δε διά μίαν δημοσίαν πόρνην Πανσέμνην ονομαζομένην, πως γίνεται εις πολλούς αιτία απωλείας, επροσευχήθη πρώτον και αφιέρωσε τον εαυτόν του εις τον Θεόν.

Έπειτα ευγήκεν από το κελλίον του, και εκδυθείς το τρίχινον φόρεμα οπού εφόρει, ενεδύθη φορέματα πολύτιμα. Eπήρε δε από τον πατέρα του και δέκα λίτρας χρυσάφι, λέγωντας εις αυτόν, ότι έχει να πάρη άλλην γυναίκα. Πηγαίνωντας δε εις Continue reading “Άγιος Θεοφάνης & Αγία Πανσέμνη η πρώην πόρνη στην Αντιόχεια της Συρίας (+363) – 10 Ιουνίου”

Saint Palladius 1st Bishop of Ireland & Scotland, from France (+450) – July 6




Saint Palladius 1st Bishop of Ireland & Scotland, 

from France (+450)

July 6

Saint Palladius was the first Bishop of the Christians of Ireland, preceding Saint Patrick.

The Palladii were thought to be amongst the most noble families of Gaul, and several of them held high ranks in the Church of Gaul. Saint Palladius was the son of Exuperantius of Poitiers.

Saint Palladius held the (higher) rank of Deacon of Rome.

Saint Palladius was married and had a young daughter. In Rome, he kissed his family goodbye in the manner of the Apostles, and lived as an ascetic in Sicily around 408-409, giving his daughter to a convent on that island. He seems to have been ordained as a priest around 415. He lived in Rome between 418–429, and appears to be the “Deacon Palladius”, responsible for urging Pope Celestine I to send the bishop Germanus to Britain, where he guided the Britons back to the Orthodox faith.


In 431, he have been sent as the first bishop to the Christians of Ireland: Palladius, having been ordained by Pope Celestine, is sent as first bishop to the Irish believing in Christ. Palladius landed at Hy-Garchon, where the town of Wicklow now stands.

Irish writers that chronicled the life of St. Patrick state that St. Palladius preached in Ireland before St. Patrick, although he was soon banished by the King of Leinster, and returned to North Britain. According to Muirchu (who lived two centuries later) in the Book of Armagh, God hindered him…and neither did those fierce and cruel men receive his doctrine readily, nor did he himself wish to spend time in a strange land, but returned to him who sent him. Palladius was accompanied by four companions: Sylvester and Solinus, who remained after him in Ireland, and Augustinus and Benedictus, who followed him to Britain but returned to their own country after his death. Palladius is most strongly associated with Leinster, particularly with Clonard, County Meath.


According to St. Prosper, Palladius arrived among the Scots in North Britain (in the consulate of Bassus and Antiochus) after he left Ireland in 431. Scottish church tradition holds that he presided over a Christian community there for about 20 years.


St Palladius’s Chapel

5th century shrine is among the earliest Christian sites in Scotland.

Fordoun was the site of a chapel founded by the 5th century saint, Palladius, who is said to have preached and died here.

The saint’s relics were preserved in a silver shrine with the chapel that he built at Fordoun.

The chapel – also known as Paldy Kirk – was the mother church for the Mearns region. The ruins of a 13th century chapel built on the site of the original 5th century building can still be seen beside the later church and there is still a well known as St Palladius’s Well in the grounds of the manse.

The ancient ruins were rebuilt in the 16th century and again in 1788. In 1828 the roof collapsed and the chapel was finally abandoned in favour of the new and much grander building we see today. Within the ruined 13th century building is a holy water stoup and an aumbry in the north wall. The three large lancets are a 17th century addition.

The most intriguing feature in the chapel ruins is not above ground however. Protected by a metal grate are stone steps leading down into the earth to a crypt unse the chapel floor.

One plausible theory is that the crypt was where the relics of St Palladius were held, and where pilgrims came to visit his shrine. King Kenneth III was one of those piulgrims; it is said that he was on his way to Fordoun when he died in 994 AD.

In the vestibule of the church is the Fordoun Stone, a beautifully carved Pictish cross slab. This was discovered in 1787 when the pulpit of the chapel was pulled down. The cross may have been hidden here during the Reformation. It shows a marvellously intricate cross and traditional pictish symbols, plus inscriptions in Ogham and a Roman script.

There are several interesting old gravestones near the chapel (some actually leaning agaimst the chapel wall). One stone to William Christison has a rather pointed reminder (literally); a finger points upwards to the heavens above, and a single word is carved – ‘Home’.

Palladius was the first Christian missionery in northern Scotland. He was ordained a priest by Pope Celestine in 430 AD, and is thought to have preached in Ireland before arriving in the Mearns area of Scotland. Presumably he found the natives less than receptive, for his martyrdom occurred not long after his arrival.

The chapel is accessible at any time.